Aubergines are meaty and filling – serve this easy veggie treat at your barbecue as a meat-free alternative.
- 2medium aubergines, cut into 1cm (½in) thick slices8-10 tbsp light
- Olive oil
- For the dressing:
- 100ml (3½fl oz) virgin olive oil
- Finely zested rind of 1 lemon and 2tbsp juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 level tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 level tablespoons chopped fresh lemon thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with olive oil and cook them on a medium-hot barbecue for about 3-5 mins on each side, until they are starting to brown.
Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender, and whizz until smooth, or finely chop all the ingredients and mix them together well.
When the aubergine slices are cooked, lay them in a large shallow dish and spread the dressing over. Leave for at least 15 mins for the flavours to blend. This salad can be served warm.
Not suitable for freezing
<strong>Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says:</strong> This recipe can be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight, but allow it to warm to an room temperature before serving.