Weight Watchers chilli con carne is a classic recipe with a lower-fat twist. This hearty meal is a real winter warmer, minus the guilt of extra calories and fat. Cook up a big batch of this healthy chilli con carne from Weight Watchers, in three quick and easy steps and you have yourself two dinners to feed a family of four. This recipe serves 8 people and will take around 2hrs to make and cook. Serve your chilli with potato wedges, tortilla wraps or a small portion of rice.
- low-fat cooking spray
- 2 large onions, chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g (1lb 5 oz) extra lean beef mince with 7% fat or less
- 4 red peppers, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 450 g (1lb) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded andchopped finely or 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 kg (2lb 4 oz) carrots, peeled and chopped finely
- 2tbsp dried oregano
- 1tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 x 400 g cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 300 ml (½ pint) vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A small bunch of fresh coriander or
- Parsley, chopped, to serve
Heat a very large, lidded, non-stick saucepan or casserole and spray with the cooking spray. Stir fry the onions and garlic for 5 mins, or until softened, adding a little water if they start to stick.
Add the mince and stir fry, breaking it up with a wooden spoon for 10 mins, until it is browned all over. Season with black pepper and add all the other ingredients except the coriander or parsley.
Bring to the boil and then simmer gently, covered, for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves. Serve with the coriander or parsley scattered over the top.
Video of the Week
Plan a month's worth of family meals with our easy <strong><a href="http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/438336/Your-one-month-meal-planner" target="_blank">meal planner</a></strong> to save you money