Make the most of chocolate week by whipping up this absolutely delicious cake
Prep time: 40 mins
Time to cook: 25-30 mins
Cals per portion: 590
For the cake
225g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened 225g (8oz) caster sugar 225g (8oz) self-raising flour 5ml (1tsp) baking powder 4 large eggs, beaten 30ml (2oz) cocoa powder 100g (4oz) plain chocolate, melted
For the icing and filling
225g (8oz) plain chocolate 50g (2oz) unsalted butter 200ml (7fl oz) double cream 60ml (4tbsp) strawberry or apricot jam White and plain chocolate curls, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4. Grease 2 x 20cm (8in) round loose-based cake tins and line the bases with greaseproof paper.
2. With an electric mixer, whisk the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and cocoa until thoroughly combined. Fold in the melted chocolate.
3. Divide mixture equally between tins and bake for 25-30 mins until risen and firm. Leave for 5 mins, then turn out on to a cooling rack to cool completely.
4. To make the icing: place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Leave until melted, then stir and cool for 2-3 mins. Stir in 75ml (5tbsp) of the cream and leave in a cool place until thick enough to spread.
5. Whip the rest of the cream until softly peaking. Sandwich the 2 cakes together with jam and cream. Place the cake on a rack and spread the chocolate icing over the top and sides, smoothing with a palette knife. Decorate with chocolate curls.