Research shows that while children laugh up to 400 times a day, adults do it only 17 times a day, on average.
In fact, laughter therapy is a big deal and can improve your health in lots of different ways. Just check out these 10 benefits of chuckling...
1. Laughter boosts your immune systemResearchers have found that laughter actually boosts the immune system, increasing the number of antibody-producing T cells. This then makes us less likely to get coughs and colds. It also lowers the levels of at least four hormones that are associated with stress, so after a good giggle you should be far less tense and anxious.
2. Laughter relieves painA good chortle has been found to reduce pain. Not only does it distract you from aches, but it releases feelgood endorphins into your system that are more powerful than the same amount of morphine.
3. Laughter improves your social lifeIf you can make people laugh, then you're likely to have more friends, because everyone loves a joker. You're also likely to achieve more at work: if you have a good sense of humour you'll be more productive, a better communicator and team player.
In fact, most things we laugh at aren't necessarily actual jokes, but comments in everyday conversation. Laughter is as much about social relationships as it is about humour.
- Next: How laughing can help ease depression
More help and advice- Tips on coping with stress
- How medication can help anxiety
- Pain relief options during birth
- In-depth info on neuropathic pain