Search

Basic first aid: Electric shock

(12 ratings)
Person turning on plug

Electric burns may look small but they can cause damage to your insides, so call an ambulance or phone NHS Direct for more help.

Print this page

Electric shock

1. Don't touch your child if they're still in the source of electric current or you'll get a shock, too.

2. Switch off the current at the plug if you can get to it easily.

3. Stand on some dry insulation material like a telephone directory and then take something made from non-conductive material like a wooden broom or a roll of newspaper and push the electrical source away or loop rope around the person's arms or ankles and drag them away.

4. Check their breathing. If they're unconscious but breathing normally put them in the recovery position.

Read on: Treating poisoning

Where next?
- Keep your kids safe at home
- What should you have in your medicine cabinet?
- Get expert advice on all your health problems
Sign up for goodtoknow's free newsletter, packed with exclusive offers & comps!

Continued below...


Sources and advice:
St John Ambulance
BBC Health

Your rating

Average rating

  • 4
(12 ratings)

Your comments

comments powered by Disqus

FREE Newsletter

Subscribe to Essentials

Subscribe from only 21.99