Search

Basic first aid: Poisoning

(9 ratings)
Bottle with the word toxic on it
Print this page

Poisoning

1. If you think your child might have breathed in, been splashed by or eaten something poisonous including household cleaning fluids or drugs, call an ambulance straight away and keep your child still until it arrives

2. If you can, find out what they've taken and take the packaging to the hospital.

Top tips:
- Don't try to make them vomit, as this can make them worse by damaging the stomach and the tubes that carry food to it.
- If the child is sick by themselves, save it and take it to the hospital so that they can test it.
- If they've taken something that burns the airway or mouth, you can let them have sips of milk or water to cool the airway.

Read on: Treating anaphylactic shock

Where next?
- Keep your kids safe at home
- What should you have in your medicine cabinet?
- Get expert advice on all your health problems


Sign up for goodtoknow's free newsletter, packed with exclusive offers & comps!

Continued below...


Sources and advice:
St John Ambulance 

Your rating

Average rating

  • 4
(9 ratings)

Your comments

comments powered by Disqus

FREE Newsletter

Subscribe to Essentials

Subscribe from only 21.99