Recovery positionIf a child is breathing but unconscious put them into this position. By doing this it helps them to breathe easily and stops them choking on vomit if their sick.
Top tip: If you think they've got a neck or head injury don't move them if their breathing is okay.
How to put them in the position
- Lie your child on their side and bring their upper knee forward. Point their head down so that any vomit or saliva doesn't go down their throat.
- Keep their neck supported with cushions. For a baby, cradle in your arms, with the head supported and face tilted down to prevent choking.
- Keep your kids safe at home
- What should you have in your medicine cabinet?
- Get expert advice on all your health problems
- Our users have sent in loads of top tips for treating all sorts of problems
Sign up for goodtoknow's free newsletter, packed with exclusive offers & comps!
Sources and advice:
St John Ambulance