How it worksThe golden rules
1 Take time
However short your time, always sit down to eat. If you're really pushed, have half your lunch now and save a yoghurt and fruit for an hour later, rather than rush it.
2 Make savvy food swaps
Choose brown bread and rice for slow-release carbohydrate and longer lasting energy.
3 Include stress-fighting foods
Choose foods that calm the side effects of stress - use garlic in cooking, chop a stick of celery in your salad, snack on a handful of almonds and sunflower seeds.
4 Eat protein at every meal
This diet is designed to keep blood sugar levels stable by giving you enough protein in each meal to reduce the temptation to snack.
5 Make sure you eat enough to fill you up
Choose bulky low calorie foods such as soup or a large salad rather then low fat crisps that won't leave you feeling satisfied.
The dietBreakfasts - Ready in 2 mins
The healthiest, quickest breakfast is cereal and milk. Don't guess portions; choose variety packs and sachets of Oatso Simple and sugar-free cereals like Special K, Shredded Wheat, Weetabix, sugar-free museli, All Bran and Bran Flakes, Porridge, Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes. Also, choose skimmed or semi-skimmed milk to save fat and calories.
- Individual box of cereal, 250ml semi-skimmed milk, small tin fruit.
Lunches - Ready in 5 mins
Choose one each day, all 300-400 cals
- Any wholemeal sandwich with sliced tomato and lettuce. Low-fat fruit yoghurt.
- 300ml fresh veg soup with 1 slice wholemeal bread. Apple or banana.
- 2 Ryvitas with Philadelphia soft cheese. Bunch of grapes and 1 small carton fresh orange juice.
- Sliced banana and 12 grapes folded into 3 tbs fromage frais, 1dsp nibbed hazelnuts. Easy to take in a tub. I finger of Twix. Bottle of flavoured water.
- Slice of bought quiche, with salad. Carton Hartley's jelly with fresh fruit.
3-Step Perfect Lunchbox
Filling, 350 cals and will help you stick to your diet when you're on the go.
1. Make a sandwich: 2 slices wholemeal, granary or rye - cut off the crusts. Fill with 80g cold meat or 2 eggs or 80g tuna or 30g cheese
2. Add as much vegetables and salad as you want in a Tupperware to eat raw
3. Add 1 low-fat yoghurt, 1 piece of fruit, either small packet of nuts and raisins or a Chocolate chip rice cake.
Dinners - Ready in 5-25 mins
Choose one each day, all 400-500 cals
- Jacket potato with 30g cheese or cottage cheese or small tin tuna or flaked salmon or hard-boiled egg, serve with salad.
- Birds Eye Simply Fish with layered, microwaved vegetables.
- Baked beans, 30g cheese, tuna or egg on 2 slices wholemeal toast.
- Weight Watchers prawn curry with rice and salad.
- Individual frozen chilli con carne or Moussaka with rice and salad.
- Ready made fresh fruit salad
- 1 pot of low-fat Ambrosia rice pudding or custard
- 1 pot low fat fruit yogurt
Keep them with you in your bag so you won't be tempted to grab a chocolate bar when hunger strikes.
- Chocolate-chip rice cake
- Yoghurt break bar
Your weekly shopping listThese are all guide amounts - you may have some things left over, depending on which meals you choose
Fruit and veg
- 10 apples
- 5 bananas
- Pack cherry tomatoes
- 3 bags of mixed salad leaves
- 5 cartons of layered vegetables
- 4 pack baking potatoes
- 5 pints skimmed milk
- Individual cartons of fresh orange or grapefruit juice with bits (for fibre)
- Large tub low-fat fromage frais
- Bag of ready-grated Edam cheese
- Large tub cottage cheese (with chives, pineapple etc, to taste)
- Tub low-fat Philadeplhia soft cheese
- Olive oil spread (for sandwiches)
- Individual cheeses e.g BabyBel
- Carton fresh veg soup (carrot and coriander or like, to taste)
- Variety pack low-fat fruit yoghurts
- 6 large eggs
- 2 slices ham
- 1 slice any quiche to taste
- 2 slices cheddar cheese (or buy a bag of grated)
- Pack of ready-cooked salmon flakes
- Vogel soya and linseed loaf or Own brand wholemeal/granary loaf
- Pack Ryvita Multigrain
- Chocolate chip rice bakes
- 12-sachet Oatso Simple, original
- Variety packs of sugar-free cereal
- 3 small tin Baked beans
- 3 pack tuna in spring water
- Portion-sized tins of fruit - grapefruit, peaches, plums and rhubarb
- Individual Hartley's jellies with fresh fruit
- 2 packs Simply Fish
- 2 Count On Us or Weight Watchers meals
- 4-pack individual low-fat Ambrosia rice
- 4-pack individual low-fat custard
- 50ml bottles flavoured water
- Pack of plain nuts - hazelnuts, walnuts, to taste
- Chocolate chip rice cakes
- Yoghurt break bars