Getting rid of bed bugs yourselfIf you catch the bed bug problem early, you can try to treat it yourself:
- Wash your sheets on a hot wash
- Wash your clothes on a hot wash
- Thoroughly vacuum your room and your bed
- Repeat all the above steps a week or so later, to make sure you've got rid of all the eggs as well as the live bed bugs
- Keep checking your house thoroughly for bed bugs. Unfortunately in most cases you do need professional help to get rid of bed bugs for good
When to get professional helpIf there are quite a lot of bed bugs or you've tried to get rid of them yourself and it hasn't worked, you will need to get professional help.
You can report pest control problems like bed bugs to your local council who will be able to give you advice on what to do next.
Where to next?- Do I have bed bugs? Take our quiz to find out
- More on skin problems
- More on itching
- More on insect bites
- Get more info on bed bugs from bed-bugs.co.uk