The audiologist: 'Never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!'
It might sound crazy but it's the general rule. The trouble is people are always sticking things in their ears to clean out the wax - like cotton buds and pens - but this can cause irreparable damage, not only to the eardrum but to the three small bones behind it as well. Ideally, avoid putting anything in your ear at all - wax is there to protect the ears.
More from Woman's Own
- Healthy juice recipes: Detox juices you can make at home
- Yogurts: best and worst for your diet revealed!
- Best bob hairstyles
- Breads: Best and worst loaves revealed
- Cereal bars: the best and worst revealed
- Biscuits: The best and worst revealed
- How to have a healthy takeaway: The best and worst options on the menu
- Tested: Best and worst sun creams
- What celebrities really eat in a day - revealed!