Average cost of university
- Make sure they buy an NUS Extra Card from the National Union of Students as they’ll get discounts for everything from cinema and food to train and bus travel and mobile phone deals.
- Teach your teen how to cook basic dishes before they set off. Spending money on takeaways and ready meals will very quickly eat into their weekly budget.
- A good mobile phone price plan is a must as many students won’t have a landline. Make sure you’ve found a competitive deal for them with enough inclusive minutes, texts and internet allowance.
- Check you’ve applied in advance for any grants they’re entitled to. You can find out more in the Student Finance section on the government website.
- Encourage them to get a part-time job. It’s a good way to meet other people and if it’s in a shop, they might get handy discounts too. A bar or restaurant can also be good for free food and drink.
Want more tips? Read our money-saving guide to university
- Healthy juice recipes: Detox juices you can make at home
- Yogurts: best and worst for your diet revealed!
- Best bob hairstyles
- Breads: Best and worst loaves revealed
- Cereal bars: the best and worst revealed
- Biscuits: The best and worst revealed
- How to have a healthy takeaway: The best and worst options on the menu
- Tested: Best and worst sun creams
- What celebrities really eat in a day - revealed!