Are cereal bars healthy?
We've rounded up 20 of the most popular branded cereal bars on the market, plus some popular supermarket own-brand ones, and checked them to find out exactly what's inside.
So if you've ever wanted to know how healthy are cereal bars, have a flick through our gallery of the best and worst cereal bars and find out which ones are the most calorific. We've found some pretty shocking results, including a cereal bar which has over 15 grams of sugar - that's more than a tablespoon! Not so diet-friendly if you think one teaspoon is around 4g, eh?
Cereal bars may come in all sorts of fancy packaging that makes them look as though they're healthy, but don't be fooled. Although lots of cereal bars contain real fruit, they can also be very high in nasties like sugar and salt.
There's no need to cut cereal bars out completely, though, because we've also found some pretty healthy options too, so you can make the right choices about which cereal bars are best for a healthy breakfast on the go. We've ranked our options in terms of calories, but remember it's also worth considering protein content, which helps to keep you full, and healthy fats from the inclusion of higher-calorie ingredients like nuts.
So, are cereal bars healthy? And just how healthy is your favourite cereal bar? Click through now to find out!
- Healthy cereal: The best and worst cereals revealed
- Low calorie snacks
- Salt shockers: Hidden salt in everyday foods
- Natural remedies for anxiety
- Best and worst cheeses for your diet: The healthiest cheese on the shelves
- Breads: Best and worst loaves revealed
- Best and worst chocolate bars for your diet
- Yogurts: best and worst for your diet revealed!
- Top natural hay fever remedies