11 things that will stop you getting sleep tonight
There are many reasons why we could have trouble drifting off, and then staying asleep, but researchers have discovered our smartphones and tablets could be one of the major causes. It's thought that the blue light they emit could be disrupting the body's natural processes - and, let's be honest, many of us are guilty of phone-watching right up until we shut our eyes.
Professor Richard Wiseman says that the recent survey's results are 'catastrophic in terms of sleeplessness' and that although eight-and-a-half hours are recommended for an adult, two thirds of the population are now getting less than seven hours sleep a night (classified as sleep deprived) - up 20% from last year.
It's thought that the light coming from phones, computers and tablets could be playing havoc with our sleep because it suppresses the sleep hormone melatonin, which is essential for drifting off to sleep.
Click through our gallery of 10 other things that could be stopping you sleeping and reclaim your shut-eye!
- How to have a healthy takeaway: The best and worst options on the menu
- Tested: Best and worst sun creams
- What celebrities really eat in a day - revealed!
- Celebrity tattoos
- How to get a cool night's sleep on a hot summer night
- The X Factor contestants: Where are they now?
- Celeb bikini gallery
- 15 bloated stomach causes
- 10 tips for getting rid of cellulite