10pm: Room to breathe
According to American scientist Dr Andrew Weil, he can get insomniacs to slip into a slumber in just 60 seconds, without the need for prescription drugs or strange lighting, using the 4-7-8 breathing technique. He describes it as 'utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere.' Sounds good to us!
To try the breathing technique yourself, you first need to place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just above your teeth, and keep it there throughout the exercise. You then need to exhale completely through your mouth while making a 'whoosh' sound.
Now close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose while counting to four in your head. And then hold your breath for a count of seven.
After this, exhale completely through your mouth, making another whoosh sound for eight seconds in one large breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.
Try it tonight and see if it sends you off, and read onto the next slide to continue your hour-by-hour good sleep plan.
Counting your breathing sounds a lot more productive than counting sheep anyway...
- Healthy juice recipes: Detox juices you can make at home
- Yogurts: best and worst for your diet revealed!
- Best bob hairstyles
- Breads: Best and worst loaves revealed
- Cereal bars: the best and worst revealed
- Biscuits: The best and worst revealed
- How to have a healthy takeaway: The best and worst options on the menu
- Tested: Best and worst sun creams
- What celebrities really eat in a day - revealed!