Real life weight loss stories: Sam Boyd
My father-in-law was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2007, and given just months to live.
That year, I ran the Race for Life to raise money for Cancer Research. I say 'ran' - I managed to get around in 42 minutes!
Sadly, my father-in-law died after six months. I also had a friend die at just 31 from non-Hodgkin lymphoma, leaving two children.
The two deaths made me think about my own mortality and while there are some things we have no control over, I could do something about my weight.
I'm 5ft and my waist was 37in! So I bought a Rosemary Conley book, and, with her plan, lost 9lb in two weeks.
I joined a Rosemary Conley class and in six months, I'd lost over 2 1/2 st - and am now a size-8.
I still run Race for Life and last year did it in 31 minutes.
I'm also training for a marathon this October. But thinking of the people I've lost and how brave they were, motivates me to stay on track.
- Tested: Best and worst sun creams
- What celebrities really eat in a day - revealed!
- Celebrity tattoos
- How to get a cool night's sleep on a hot summer night
- The X Factor contestants: Where are they now?
- Celeb bikini gallery
- 15 bloated stomach causes
- 10 tips for getting rid of cellulite
- Healthy juice recipes: 12 detox juices you can make at home