Real life weight loss stories: Avril Schofield
Now... 9st 10lb
Weight Loss...6 st
'Brushing my teeth one morning, I looked up into the mirror - and saw my mum! She'd been very overweight and died of a massive heart attack when she was just 54.
'Avril, I thought, you've got to do something!
'I've struggled with my weight all my life, eating too much of the wrong things and doing next-to-no exercise. I'd even drive half a mile to the local chippy, eat fish and chips, then drive back to work!
'Over the years, I've tried all manner of diets, lost weight, then put it all back on. But this time it was different - I really wanted to do it...
'So I started at Slimming World, as there was a daytime group that fitted in with my work hours. I found I could eat lots of filling food and still lose weight! Chicken, rice, lean meat, pasta, fish, veg, fruit - and the occasional treat too. I never felt hungry.
'I started to see results from week one, and lost 1 stone in the first month. It took me just over a year to lose 6 stone in all.
'I'm strict with myself, and when I set my sights on something, I really go all all-out for it. I still keep to the rules and have maintained my weight for almost a year. I walk everywhere, and I've recently started running - setting myself the challenge of doing the 5k Race for Life this year.
'Now I want nothing more than to celebrate my 60th birthday and, even if I'm wizened and wrinkly, I'd love to reach 80, too.'
- Natural remedies for anxiety
- Healthy cereal: The best and worst cereals revealed
- Best and worst cheeses for your diet: The healthiest cheese on the shelves
- Breads: Best and worst loaves revealed
- Best and worst chocolate bars for your diet
- Yogurts: best and worst for your diet revealed!
- Top natural hay fever remedies
- Calories in summer drinks: The best and worst for your diet
- Tested: Best and worst sun creams