Amazon have been forced to remove the popular children’s toy ‘slime’ amid fears it contains arsenic.
The online retailer pulled the magnetic putty stating that their customers’ safety is their top priority after it was reported that the product may contain extremely high levels of the poison.
Northamptonshire Trading Standards, who tested one bag of the ‘slime’, found that it contained seven times the authorised amount of arsenic, which can be extremely harmful.
They also found that the small cube magnet that is featured in the toy is also a choking hazard, as it could be easily swallowed by children.
The magnet was also found to contain two times the amount of lead permitted.
Despite the putty being removed from sale last month after Trading Standards officers issued an alert over its safety, Amazon removed the product from its website on Wednesday.
Amazon’s removal comes after a worried mother issued a warning over the toy after claiming her daughter was poisoned by it after purchasing it on Amazon for Christmas.
Frances Kelly claims her daughter Neve had ten times the normal level of arsenic in her urine after playing with the toxic Christmas present for a few weeks.
Issuing a warning on Facebook, Frances said: ‘We have received shock news this afternoon with the results of my daughter Neve’s tests and there is a toxicology team in Edinburgh who are now dealing with it.
‘There was 10 times the normal level of arsenic found in her urine. They had to take vials of blood and it is getting sent to an arsenic specialist in Glasgow. They are all in shock.’
She added: ‘Neve has thankfully not shown many symptoms of damage and pray this test will be lower as she hasn’t been in contact with it since January.
‘If we hadn’t found out when we did…we pray to God her tests will be all clear. So please if you have this product get your children tested.’
Amazon have asked that anyone who purchased the product to stop using it immediately and to contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service.