Newborn Daisey-May Moore was left with severe brain damage after contracting an infection that her parents had never heard of before.
‘She seemed absolutely fine at first and was with me on the ward,’ the newborn’s mother Bethany Foss told the Sun.
‘But after 24 hours I noticed that she was grunting when she breathed.’
After alerting doctors to her daughter’s symptoms she was told that tests revealed that the baby had contracted the two life-threatening infections.
‘I was told to prepare for the worst,’ said Bethany.
‘It was the worst time of our lives.
‘We were in total shock and disbelief as to how our baby could have been born so normal and perfect, then in the space of 24 hours be so near to death.’
Group B strep is a common bacteria that is said to be present in around 20 per cent of the population.
It is harmless to adults and expectant mums, however if it is passed from mother to baby it can be seriously harmful, as it can lead to meningitis, pneumonia and sepsis.
There is currently ongoing debate in the UK as to whether every pregnant woman needs to be tested for it or not, as the country currently uses a risk-based prevention strategy.
Bethany, who is also mum to two other young children, said that her newborn daughter was kept on life-support for two weeks while her body fought the infection.
Bethany Foss updated her cover photo.
At three-weeks-old Daisey-May was finally allowed to go home with her family.
‘Every day felt like a miracle and eventually they stabilised Daisey-May, enough to take her off her ventilator and to everyone’s amazement she started breathing,’ said Bethany.
However, MRI scans have revealed that the tot has been left with severe brain damage following her ordeal and is now being cared for with the help of specialist carers.
‘We don’t know yet how she will be affected in the future and what she will and won’t be able to do,’ added Bethany mum.
‘She also has epilepsy and is on three different medications to control her seizures.’
The family is now trying to raise awareness of the infection to prevent other children from being affected by it in the future.
‘We’d not heard about group B Strep until Daisey-May’s birth,’ said Bethany, despite her being our third child.’
‘I was never offered information or a test for group B Strep when I was pregnant, whereas this would have been done automatically in most other developed countries.
‘The whole experience has been highly traumatic.
‘Nobody should have to have discussions about their new baby’s life when the infection they are suffering from could so easily have been prevented.’
For more information on Group B Strep and support if you have been through a similar experience with the infection, visit gbss.org.uk.