10-month-old Ben Masters died from choking on a small piece of apple and his parents have set up a crowdfunding page in his memory to raise funds for the hospital that looked after him.
It’s so important to know basic first aid for babies and children so that you know what to do in an emergency.
Heartbreakingly, despite mum Lucy’s best efforts, she was unable to save her 10-month-old son Ben’s life when he chocked on a piece of apple while on a family day out at Eastbourne’s Drusillas Zoo Park.
Lucy is a stewardess and used her training to give Ben first aid when she saw he was in trouble but he went into cardiac arrest and died in hospital six days later.
Since the tragedy Lucy and Ben’s dad Adam have set up a crowdfunding page to try and raise money for the unit at St George’s Hospital in London that looked after their son.
Writing on the page they explained: ‘Our little angel donated his heart, his liver, both kidneys, pancreas and small bowel.
‘Nothing can fill the huge void we have in our hearts for Benjamin but we want to give something back to the team at PICU.
‘This page is to raise funds in Benjamin’s memory, to provide much needed facilities within the ward, to comfort parents when they have a seriously sick child being looked after by the dedicated PICU team.’
The couple hoped to raise £5,000 and already have £17,557 donated from 623 supporters.
Adam Masters added a new photo.
The Sun report that at his son’s inquest, dad Adam thanked the staff at Drusilla Zoo Park for doing everything they could to try and save his little boy.
He said: ‘I wanted to come today because, having not been present, the timeline was very jumbled. It’s helped to clarify that evidence for me and have a bit of closure.
‘I’d like to thank everybody involved – the staff at Drusilla’s and the medical team and the staff at the hospital did a fantastic job.’