A mum finally found out what was causing her daughter’s mysterious health problems for six months, after a rusty safety pin came out of her nose.
The five year old had a constant runny nose for six months, and three different doctors failed to find out what was causing it.
It was only when her daughter, Khloe Russell, blew out the culprit that the mystery was finally solved – a 1.5-inch-long safety pin.
Mum Katelyn Powell said doctors told her that her daughter’s nose problems were being caused by sinus infections. She was prescribed antibiotics, but they had no impact on her condition.
‘About six months ago, her nose just started [running] out of this one side. Green, green, green constantly and it stunk’, she told American local news site KABC-TV.
‘We went home, did 10 days of medication, didn’t work. We took her even to the dentist because we thought it was her teeth – nothing’, the mum said.
Last weekend the truth was finally unveiled when Khloe’s uncle had the five-year-old blow her nose.
‘My brother was like, “Your nose, it’s disgusting. Blow your nose, blow your nose.” And she blows it and out comes the safety pin.’
The safety pin was inside Khloe’s nose for six months
After six months inside the girl’s nose, the pin had turned black and had also started disintegrating.
Following the surprise discovery, Khloe told her mum she didn’t realise she had stuck the pin up her nose at the time.
‘It was a huge object. It was bigger than her nose. We were horrified’, Katelyn explained. ‘She found a safety pin and being a kid wanted to stick it up there to see how far it would go and thought she dropped it not realising it had lodged itself in her nose.
‘We went to the same doctor and to urgent cares contracted through our doctors when there wasn’t an available appointment. All the doctors looked up her nose but didn’t see anything’, Khloe’s mum continued.
Khloe is said to be recovering well
Thankfully, Khloe is now feeling much better and her mum even said on a Facebook post that she is ‘healing like a champ’.
After the story went viral, Katelyn has expressed that her aim in making the story public was to raise awareness and warn other parents.
She said: ‘I hope people can understand that this can happen to their children and that it doesn’t make their children stupid for doing it or not saying anything after.’
Has something similar ever happened to your little ones? Let us know in the comments!