A mum has praised the NHS for saving her daughter’s life in a powerful Facebook post that also warns parents about the dangers of sepsis.
After her little girl contracted blood poisoning last month, Katie Louise Gouldborn took to the social networking site to share a video of the tot having difficulties breathing as she slept in her cot.
‘This is Chloe at 3.53pm on Tuesday 16th January. By 5pm she was in resuscitation with 10+ medical professionals doing everything to keep her alive. Watching this video brings back all the fear from that night, however if I had known the symptoms that Chloe was displaying that afternoon were life threatening, I could of acted quicker,’ she wrote alongside the clip.
‘Chloe went from being ‘off her food and a bit unsettled’ to fighting for her life in under 4 hours. This was an extremely difficult and personal time for our family, one we have thought long and hard about sharing. Ultimately we decided that if it makes one parent check symptoms quicker – then something good can come from sharing this.’
Katie went on to tell her followers about the symptoms Chloe was experiencing, including grunting noises when breathing (as demonstrated in her footage), mottled skin, a decrease in wet nappies and a lack of interest in food.
She then expressed her sincere gratitude to all of the medical professions who helped care for three-month-old during the terrifying situation.
‘After a week in hospital with around the clock monitoring, countless tests and endless antibiotics/fluid pumped around her little body, and with the BIGGEST thank you to 50+ NHS employees, Chloe is now home and doing well.
”Though she be but little, she is fierce’ – although we should say ‘feisty’, as described by many nurses & doctors.’
Often triggered by an injury or an infection, sepsis is a dangerous condition than can be potentially life-threading without quick treatment.