A mum has shared a heartbreaking warning to parents about the potential risks of soft toys in cots, after her 18-month-old daughter suffocated and died.
Dexy Leigh Walsh, from Dundee, has launched an online campaign to raise awareness of the risk to children and cot bed safety, after her daughter Connie passed sadly passed away last month.
Taking to Facebook, Dexy explained that she had packed teddies down the side of Connie’s bed to stop her falling down a gap, but during the night she ‘went under a the massive teddy and fell asleep with the angels’.
The mum also admitted in the post that she feels guilty and blames herself for the incident.
‘I have been blaming myself… she went under the massive teddy and fell asleep with the angels, all I think about now is what if I just left it empty she would still be here maybe with just a small bump on her head,’ she wrote on her Facebook campaign page.
Dexy then goes on to say that she wants to raise awareness about having soft toys in cots, and expose the dangers to other parents.
‘It’s all what ifs now. But i want every parent to see and be aware of this. Let them fall don’t try to stuff small places up with soft things just leave it empty. She had a bed guard at one side and the smallest gap from her wall to her bed and that’s where I had put all her teddy’s my biggest regret in life.’
The 23-year-old mum added: ‘Please move everything off your kids bed and away from the sides…. I really hope my little princesses tragic story can save someone else babies life. I miss you Connie so much life is so unfair at time.
‘Thank you for being the most perfect and loveable baby. Your smile can make anyone come from a really dull place to happy in seconds. Mum Murray and Dior love you lots and miss you so much baby! Everyone in the family is broken I hope you are having fun princess. Sleep tight baby’.
Other parents expressed their condolences, with one writing: ‘Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story God is good and your baby is with him’.
Another said: ‘So sad..my heart is breaking for you thankyou for sharing your story’.
A third added: ‘So so sorry 4 your loss..i used 2 do the same thing with pillows when i was looking after my grandkids ..thankfully nothing happened…so very brave of u 2 get that out there take care your wee 1 will b looking over you and your family’.
Our thoughts are with the mum and the rest of Connie’s family.