Primark have pulled a ‘dangerous’ Christmas candle from sale after a mum warned they could catch fire in a social media post.
Jenny Ferneyhough bought the £5 candle from Primark in Manchester, but later took to Facebook to warn others that it could be a fire hazard.
After an hour of burning it, Jenny said the candle burst into flames within a matter of seconds.
This is a candle I bought in Primark Manchester for £5 on Saturday. I am concerned that it poses a risk to the safety of anyone who owns one, and I have emailed Primark suggesting they recall them….
Writing on Facebook, she said: ‘This is a candle I bought in Primark Manchester for £5 on Saturday. I am concerned that it poses a risk to the safety of anyone who owns one, and I have emailed Primark suggesting they recall them.
‘In the meantime, I would be grateful if we could spread the word so that no one is put at risk by this. #primark’
The post quickly caught the attention of many who shared it over 300,000 times so far in a bid to warn others about the potential fire hazard.
Some also commented to thank Jenny for making others aware of the danger, and question why a recall notice hasn’t been issued.
‘It’s clearly not safe and shouldn’t be on sale!’ one wrote, while another said ‘I’d expect an immediate recall!!’
Speaking to the BBC, Jenny said: ‘Obviously everyone knows not to leave a flame unattended, but if you went to the loo, a couple of seconds later it could have burst into flames.
‘If it [develops into] a massive flame when anything else is around it, it could be very dangerous.’
After being made aware of the ‘dangerous’ candle, a spokesman for Primark said they are taking them from sale while they investigate the issue.
Responding to a customer on Twitter, they wrote: ‘Hello, we take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously. We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency.’