What Halloween celebration is complete without a spookily-carved pumpkin? It may look tricky but it’s actually really easy to carve a pumpkin at home (if a little messy!)
We’ve got together with housetohome.co.uk to create this easy step-by-step guide to pumpkin carving – it’s fun for all the family.
And that’s not all! We’ve even got some free printable Halloween pumpkin patterns so you can create picture-perfect designs.
How to carve a pumpkin
- Choose a large, smooth pumpkin.
- Grab a sharp knife or small saw to cut off the pumpkin lid.
- Insert the knife at a 45 degree angle to stop the lid from sinking when you put it back in.
- Use a metal spoon, ice cream scoop or a melon baller to remove the insides of the pumpkin but remember to save the flesh for a tasty recipe.
- Find a scary pumpkin carving pattern or draw the outline of a face using a black marker.
- If using a template, sellotape it onto the pumpkin and mark it out using a fork.
- Use a knife to carve out the design and pop the pieces of pumpkin out into the inside of the pumpkin for a smooth finish.
- Pop a candle inside and place outside your front door or in your lounge window.