This delicious apple and cinnamon crumble recipe is simple and delicious. The combination of cinnamon and apple work wonders together. Sweet apples simmered in brandy and topped with a crunchy crumble. This pud is so easy to put together, it's the perfect dessert for a lazy autumn weekend. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 55 mins to prepare and cook. It's the perfect posh apple crumble that your whole family can enjoy. Love a good pud? We've got loads more delicious pudding recipes right here.
- 4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced
- 90g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Calvados (apple brandy)
- 60g (2oz) stem ginger, drained and chopped
- 1 level tbsp thickening granules
- For the base and topping:
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 75g (2½oz) butter, chilled
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 60g (2oz) walnut halves or pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup (from the jar of stem ginger)
- 4 walnut halves, to decorate, optional
- You will also need
- 4 x 10cm (4in) metal rings, on a buttered baking tray
Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the prepared apples, sugar and Calvados into a pan, cover and cook gently for 7 mins until the fruit is tender. Rest a sieve over a large jug, tip the apples into the sieve and leave them to drain and cool slightly.
To make the base and topping: Put the flour and small chunks of butter into a food processor and pulse to form crumbs. Add cinnamon, sugar and walnuts and whizz to form coarse crumbs.
Tip the mixture out into a bowl, then put half back into the food processor. Set aside the rest. Add the ginger syrup to the crumble in the food processor and whizz to combine.
Press a quarter of this mixture into each metal ring to cover the base. Add the ginger to the cooked apples and divide between each base.
Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture over the top. Bake for 15 mins, then top each one with a walnut half, if you like, and bake for more mins until the crumbles are pale golden.
Heat the reserved apple syrup with the thickening granules until thickened, smooth and clear. Transfer each apple crumble to a plate, lift the ring off and spoon the apple syrup over or around the puddings.
Top tip for making Apple and cinnamon crumble
Substitute the plain flourfor wholemeal flour for added flavour and fibre.