Lovely as a starter or as a salad topping or side, this zingy asparagus dish is certainly full of flavour. Garlic, lemon and parsley are the perfect seasoning for this spring veg
- 12-16 medium thickness asparagus spears (about 250g), rinsed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g day-old bread, made into crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon
- About 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Heat a griddle pan. Coat the asparagus spears in half the oil and griddle in batches over a medium heat until tender. Set aside on a warm baking tray.
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan. Add the crumbs and garlic and stir over a medium heat to brown. Remove from heat, add zest from half the lemon, the parsley and seasoning.
Cut the lemon into wedges and brown on the griddle.
Arrange the asparagus on a warm plate and spoon over the crumb mixture. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
If you wish to cook in the oven, bake the oiled asparagus, topped with the crumb mixture, for 20-25 mins at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.