Great on its own for lunch, or as a side dish to chicken, this healthy, meat-free brown rice salad is really tasty and easy to make
- 175g easy-cook brown rice
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 ripe Hass avocado (remove skin and stone, and dice flesh)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp hemp seed oil (eg Good Oil)
- 150g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Once the rice is cooked, drain well and allow to cool.
To make the dressing: combine the oil, vinegar and garlic.
Transfer the rice to a serving bowl, stir in the avocado, spring onions, tomatoes, chilli flakes and dressing and serve immediately.
Top tip for making Avocado and brown rice salad
Swapping white rice for healthier brown rice, as well as eating a healthy diet and doing regular exercise, could cut your chance of developing type 2 diabetes.