Be adventurous and make your own sushi appetiser. These Japanese avocado and prawn sushi rolls are guaranteed to impress!
- Bamboo sushi mat, for prep
- 400g (14oz) Japanese short-grain sushi rice
- 2 tbsp sushi rice seasoning or seasoned rice vinegar
- 6-7 sheets of sushi nori (toasted and ready to use)
- 1tbsp wasabi (hot horseradish) paste
- Sushi ginger and Japanese soy sauce, for serving
- For the filling:
- Half a cucumber, cut into thin strips along the whole length, discarding the seeds
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced lengthways
- 48 small, cooked prawns
Rinse the rice in cold water and place in a pan with 600ml (1 pint) cold water. Cover and bring to the boil quickly, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and leave for 15 mins without taking off the lid.
Tip the rice into a bowl, add the sushi seasoning or rice vinegar and mix it in with a spatula.
Place a sheet of sushi nori on a bamboo mat. Spread 6-8 tbsp of sushi rice over. leaving a 1cm (½in) gap at the top and bottom. Dot a little wasabi paste along the rice on the nearest edge.
Put a piece of cucumber along the length, and next to it, strips of avocado, then 8 prawns.
Starting at the edge nearest you, roll up the nori into a tight cylinder, with the help of the mat. When you reach the top border, wet the nori, then finish rolling and hold it for a few seconds to help it stick. Cover with cling film and chill.
To serve, cut each roll into 6 pieces and serve with sushi ginger and soy sauce. Eat on the day you make them.
Make it with crab, asparagus and shiitake mushroom instead. For each roll, top the rice with 2 small, blanched asparagus spears. 1 crabstick, halved lengthways and 1 sliced shiitake mushroom, fried in a little oil. Roll up as above.