This tasty vegetarian dish makes a healthy light meal, and the two cheeses give extra taste, texture and nutritive value
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 50g (2oz) frozen sweetcorn
- 50g (2oz) frozen peas
- 50g (2oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g (4oz) Lancashire or Cheshire cheese, crumbled or grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 marrow, cut into 8 slices and deseeded
- 50g (2oz) Red Leicester or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a large baking dish or baking sheet with a teaspoon of the olive oil.
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion, celery and pepper for 3 – 4 minutes, until softened. Remove from the heat and stir in the sweetcorn and peas. Reserve a couple of tablespoons of the breadcrumbs, then stir the rest into the vegetables with the Lancashire or Cheshire cheese and chives or parsley. Season.
Arrange the marrow slices in the baking dish or on the baking sheet. Pack with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with the reserved breadcrumbs and grated cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, removing the foil for the final 10 minutes so that the tops brown.
Use your own choice of vegetables to customise this dish - for instance, if you don't like celery or peppers, use mushrooms instead.