Bavarian hot potato salad is a great mixture of frankfurters, boiled potatoes, green beans and gherkins. Ready in just 15 minutes this Bavarian twist on a classic potato salad is easy to make and certainly brings a new flavour to your meal times. We love serving this as a side dish in a buffet or just as a mid-week summer dinner. Bavarian potato salad can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days so try it as a packed lunch too.
- 250g Charlotte potatoes (about 8 potatoes), or small new potatoes, cut into thick slices
- 14 green beans trimmed and cut into short lengths
- 200g pack Bavarian frankfurters, cut into chunks
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- 3tsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Good pinch of caster sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large cornichons or gherkins, sliced
- 2 radishes, sliced
- About 2 tbsp fresh snipped chives
Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling, salted water to just cover them and cook for 7 mins. Add the beans and simmer for 3 mins, then add the sausage chunks and cook for a further couple of mins.
Meanwhile, mix the mustard, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl, and whisk in the oil. Drain the potatoes, beans and sausage, then put them back in the hot pan and mix in the dressing.
Season, and stir in the cornichons or gherkins, radishes and chives. Serve warm.
Top tip for making Bavarian hot potato salad
Use ready-made mustard and honey dressing to save time.