A hearty sausage bake with chunky potatoes, flageolet and kidney beans in a rich, caramelised sauce. Delicious on its own or with bread.
- 300g chorizo-style pork chipolata sausages (pinch, twist and cut into two small sausages)
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 500ml passatta
- 1tbsp black treacle
- 2tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g can flageolet beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the sausages, onion and garlic. Heat gently until the sausages begin to brown and the onions soften slightly.
Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer gently with a lid on for about 30 mins, alternatively transfer to a preheated oven for 30-40 mins on 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5.
Serve with hunks of crusty bread.
Replace any can of beans with your favourite beans like chickpeas, black eyed peas or even baked beans.