Turn a healthy salad into a filling main meal by serving it with flavoursome marinated steaks and grilled naan bread.
- About 450g (15oz) rump or sirloin steak (3x150g/5oz steaks), trimmed of fat and sinew
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp lime juice
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 level tsp ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or dried chillies
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Pinch of salt
- To serve:
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3-4 Little Gem lettuces, chilled and cut into quarters
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 lime, cut into thin wedges
- About 150ml (1/4 pint) ready-made satay dipping sauce
- 4 naan breads
- 12 bamboo skewers
Lay the steaks on a board, cover with cling film and bash them lightly to flatten and tenderise them. Cut each piece into at least 4 long strips about 2.5cm (1in) wide.
Mix the soy sauce, oil, lime juice, spices and garlic with the salt. Coat the beef in this marinade and leave for an hour, if you have time, a few hours is fine, too.
Heat a griddle pan or barbecue, until hot. Thread the beef strips on the skewers and cook for about 2 mins on each side until just cooked through. Warm the satay sauce, if you like.
Serve the beef skewers on a bed of cucumber slices with the lettuce wedges, spring onions and lime wedges, and a bowl of satay sauce. Griddle or toast the bread to serve warm.