- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 30ml (2tbsp) dried mixed herbs
- 900g (2lb) lean braising or stewing steak, cut into 5cm (2inch) pieces
- 1-2tbsp (15-30ml) sunflower oil
- 675g (11/2lb) shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 large red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 bottle good red wine
- 300ml (1/2pint) good, hot beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Small sprig fresh thyme, to garnish
Place the flour, seasoning and mixed herbs in a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat in the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a 1.7L (3pint) ovenproof casserole dish and brown the beef in batches with the shallots.
Stir in the pepper, wine, stock and bay leaves, scraping the base of the dish to release any sediment. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob or in an oven at Gas Mark 3/170°C/325°F for 21/2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender. Garnish with the thyme, and serve with mash and seasonal vegetables.