Taken from an issue of Woman's Weekly in 1936. This recipe for beef curry was a beginners guide to making a proper curry. Serve with rice and naan bread for a tasty family meal
- 30g (1oz) butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g (8oz) rump steak, fat trimmed, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 eating apple, cored and finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons tikka masala paste (or 2 tsp curry powder)
- 1 level tbsp flour
- 165ml can coconut milk (or beef stock)
- 100g (3½oz) frozen green beans
- 1 tbsp chutney
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
Heat the fat in a pan, add the meat and brown it for a few mins. Take out and put it on a plate. Add the onion and apple, and cook for a few mins. Stir in the curry paste or powder, cook for a minute and then add the flour.
When well blended, stir in the coconut milk, or stock, and a coconut-canful of hot water, and bring to the boil. Add the meat and simmer gently for 20-30 mins, until the meat is tender. Stir in the green beans. Heat through for 5 mins, then add the chutney and lemon juice. Serve with basmati rice, or with naan bread. If using cold cooked meat, cook the sauce and add the meat, then warm it through.
Top tip for making Beef tikka masala
This recipe has been slightly modifed by using curry paste instead of powder and adding green beans