Make Bill Granger’s berry yogurt muffins. They freeze brilliantly and are perfect for the kids’ lunchboxes – or even yours!
- 185g(6½ oz) self-raising flour
- 150g (5½ oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 155g (5½ oz) firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 250ml (9 fl oz) buttermilk
- 125ml (4 fl oz) low-fat natural yogurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 440g (15oz) chopped mixed berries (Bill likes strawberries and raspberries)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Line a 12-hole, 125ml (4 fl oz) capacity muffin tin with paper cases.
Sift the two flours and cinnamon together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and then make a well in the centre. Pour the buttermilk, yogurt, eggs and oil into a large bowl and whisk with a fork until just combined.
Pour into the well in the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add the berries and stir until just combined (do not over-mix or your muffins will be tough).
Spoon into the muffin tin and bake for 20 mins, or until golden.
Top tip: Don't over-mix the batter as it over-develops the gluten and makes it stringy. The batter should still be lumpy with bits of flour - don't worry, they'll disappear during baking.