Bill Granger’s sausage, tomato and mozzarella melt is a great way of turning cold, leftover sausages into a delicious snack.
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ciabatta, cut into 4 equal lengths and split horizontally
- 4 cooked sausages (I like Italian), sliced on the diagonal
- 1 buffalo mozzarella, 125-150g, sliced
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Handful basil leaves
Preheat the oven to 220°C (gas mark 7). Put the tomatoes in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 mins, until the sauce is reduced and thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Place the ciabatta bases on a baking tray. Spread with the tomato sauce and top with the sliced sausages and mozzarella. Grind over some pepper, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10 mins.
Lay the ciabatta tops on the baking tray and return to the oven for a few minutes, until these slices are toasted and the cheese topping on the others is bubbling.
To serve, lay some basil leaves on the bubbling mozzarella and top with the toasted slices of bread.
Top tip for making Bill Granger’s sausage & mozzarella melt
Bill says, 'You can use leftover pasta sauce if you have some, rather than make the tomato sauce.'