A super-quick chicken dish with with peanuts and cucumber from Australian celebrity chef Bill Granger. The family will love it.
- 2tbsppeanut oil
- 500g (1lb 2 oz) chicken breasts, diced
- 2tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 2tsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 1tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small red and 1 small green pepper (capsicum), diced
- 2 Lebanese (short) cucumbers, halved, seeded and diced
- To serve
- Steamed rice
- Unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat. Cook the chicken in batches for 3-4 mins, or until golden, then remove from the wok.
Mix together the rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and cornflour. Return the wok to medium-high heat.
Add the rest of the oil, the onion and ginger and stir-fry for 1-2 mins, then add the pepper and cucumber and stir-fry for another 2 mins. Return the chicken to the wok, add the sauce and stir-fry for another couple of minutes.
Serve immediately with steamed rice and chopped peanuts.
If your rice or pasta always boils over, Janice Wood, 38, from Stoke-on-Trent suggests rubbing the inside of the pan with vegetable oil.