Spruce up your lunchboxes or picnics by making these healthy broad bean and smoked ham pittas. Ready in just 10 mins, you can whip them up in the morning before you’re head out.
Our guide on how to prepare and cook broad beans will make this recipe even easier!
- 300g broad beans
- Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 onion, sliced finely
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 50g smoked ham, cut into small strips
- Small bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp virtually fat free fromage frais
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pitta breads, to serve
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the broad beans and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
Drain and slip from their skins, keeping the bright green beans.
Heat a non stick frying pan, spray with the cooking spray and stir fry the onion, chilli and garlic for a few minutes, until softened and golden.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the balsamic vinegar, ham, beans, mint, fromage frais and seasoning. Stir to mix.
Warm the pitta breads in the oven or toaster. Spoon the ham and bean mixture into the pittas and serve.
Top tip for making Broad bean and smoked ham pittas
This summery salad filling is great served as an accompaniment to fish or meat