The light muscovado sugar adds depth of flavour to the cake and keeps it deliciously moist while the frosting is only subtly sweetened.
- 250ml (9fl oz) sunolive oil (a mixture of sunflower and olive oil)
- 225g (8 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 250g (9 oz) carrots, coarsely grated
- 250g (9oz) mascarpone cheese
- 25g (1oz) unrefined golden icing cane sugar, sieved
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm (8in) round tin with baking parchment.
Whisk the oil and sugar together, then whisk in the eggs one at a time.
Gently fold in the flour, followed by the carrots. Mix gently until combined, then turn into the prepared tin. Bake for 40 mins until golden brown and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Mix together the mascarpone cheese and the golden icing sugar. Spread over the top and sides of the cake with a palette knife. Finish with pecan halves.
Top tip for making Carrot cake with muscovado
This recipe also works well cooked in a rectangular tin 18 x 28cm (7 x11in). Spread icing over the top only and cut into squares to serve.