A colourful and delicious combination of warm vegetables, with a tangy balsamic dressing
- 1 small aubergine, sliced
- 2 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 120ml (8tbsp) olive oil
- 30ml (2tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 5ml (1tsp) sugar
- 15ml (1tbsp) capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic ciabatta bread
Place the aubergine, courgettes, onions, peppers and garlic in a shallow bowl and add 60ml (4tbsp) of the olive oil. Toss to coat in the oil. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle and cook the vegetables on the hot surface, in batches, for 5-6 mins, turning frequently until charred and just tender. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk together the rest of the oil with the vinegar, sugar and capers. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the hot vegetables.
Bake the garlic ciabatta bread for 8-10 mins, then cut into slices. Arrange two slices of garlic bread on each plate and top with the vegetables and dressing.
For an extra-tangy dressing, add 1tbsp of wholegrain mustard.