This mild creamy risotto is so much more appealing to young children than boiled rice as the grains stick together. Delicious and easy.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 300g (10oz) risotto rice
- 900ml (1½ pt vegetable or chicken stock
- 150g (5oz) mixed frozen vegetables
- 50g (2oz) ham, cut into strips
- 100g (4oz) Lancashire cheese
- 50g (2oz) Double Gloucester cheese, grated
- Want to make this for under £1 head?
- : £3.74 (Asda)
- : Arborio risotto rice 93p, Smartprice frozen veg 44p, Deli carver ham (100g) 70p, Lancashire Cheddar (250g) £1.58, Onion 9p
- (Prices correct at time of writing. See mysupermarket
- for more deals).
Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat until just softened
Stir in the rice and cook for 1 min, then add the stock
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 mins until the rice is almost tender, stirring occasionally
Stir the vegetables and ham into the pan. Cover and continue to cook for a further 5-10 mins until the rice is creamy and tender. Add a little more stock if required
Remove from the heat and crumble the Lancashire cheese into small pieces and stir into the rice until the cheese begins to melt.
Serve the risotto with the grated cheese for sprinkling on top.