Melt-in-the-mouth cheeses, juicy tomatoes and perfect pastry make a deliciously filling anytime family dish
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 4tbsp tomato chutney with red pepper - or your favourite chutney
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 100g (3½ oz) mature Cheddar
- 100g (3½ oz) Red Leicester or Double Gloucester cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and ground black pepper
- A little milk, optional
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heavy baking sheet
Set the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Carefully unroll the pastry on to a heavy baking sheet. With a sharp knife, mark a border about 2.5cm (1in) in from the edge all the way round.
Lightly mark the border for decoration. With a fork, prick inside the border, to keep the pastry flat while it cooks. Spread the chutney inside the border then strew the onion slices all over.
Cut the cheese into cubes and sprinkle them on the top, then tuck in the tomato halves. Season. Brush the pastry border with milk, if you like.
Bake the tart in the bottom half of the oven for about 35 mins. Cool for a few mins, then sprinkle with parsley. Cut into squares and serve warm with a mixed salad.
You can use any combination of cheese you like in this dish: Lancashire also tastes great.