This light, yet substantial, meal of cheese and vegetable souffle will make and great meal for the whole family.
- 750g (1½lb) potatoes, peeled and halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g tub ready-made white sauce
- 250g (8oz) cooked Brussels sprouts
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100g (3½oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 x 150ml (¼ pint) ramekin dishes, buttered
Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins until tender.
Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put the white sauce and sprouts in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the egg yolks.
Drain and mash the potatoes, and stir in the sprout sauce.
Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff-peak stage. Fold into the mash mixture. Spoon into the ramekin dishes and sprinkle with cheese. Put dishes on a baking tray and bake for 25 mins.
The mash and sauce can be prepared up to a day in advance. Fold in the whisked egg whites just before cooking.