You don't need many ingredients to make this tasty chicken and rice casserole. Plus it's cheap, quick and dead easy!
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 chicken drumsticks or thighs (or two of each)
- 175g (6oz) long-grain rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry it gently for 3 mins, then add the chicken drumsticks or thighs, and fry them until lightly browned on all sides.
Add the rice and cook for 1 min, stirring continuously. Stir in the chicken stock, carrots, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
Simmer the mixture gently for 35-40 mins, or until the chicken is tender. Serve with a mixed salad, if liked. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top tip for making Chicken and rice hotpot
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says they used a pack of 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs and doubled the ingredients. The chicken was only £3.35 for all of it, so it's an economical meal