Filling and warming, this main meal soup is ideal for a cold winter’s evening. To save time we’ve used canned cannellini beans which are already cooked. If you want to make the soup with dried beans, then use 200g and soak them overnight in a bowl of cold water. Drain and rinse thoroughly before adding to the pan and simmer for about 40 mins until tender adding an extra 300ml of stock
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 300g skinless chicken fillet, cut into small chunks
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soured cream or natural yoghurt, to serve
- Fresh oregano, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, leek, celery and garlic for 5 mins until beginning to soften. Add the chicken and fry for a further 7-8 mins until the chicken is browned all over.
Pour in the stock and add the chopped oregano and beans. Simmer gently for 20-25 mins, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the soup in warmed bowls topped with a spoonful of soured cream or yoghurt and garnished with fresh oregano.
To make crisp ciabatta croutons to serve with the soup, brush thin slices of ciabatta bread with olive oil then grill until golden