Our coconut curry is a creamy and rich, yet healthy week night dish for the whole family to enjoy. Curry is one of the nation's favourite dishes, and when you make your own it is so much healthier. Adding a creamed coconut instead of cream to this delicious chicken masala curry not only makes it healthier but also adds a rich and nutty flavour to this scrumptious recipe. This coconut curry is a real crowd pleaser and will have everyone coming back for seconds. Why not try this dish with some pilaf rice or a naan bread for an authentic Indian meal.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1½tsp ground coriander
- 1½tsp ground cumin seeds
- ¼tsp ground turmeric
- 10 curry leaves
- 12 skinless and boneless, free-range chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 125-200g creamed coconut
- handful of coriander, chopped
- juice of 1 lime, plus 1 extra lime cut into wedges to serve
Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the onion and fry over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and slightly browned. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, spices and curry leaves. Season well with salt and pepper and fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes, and then add the chopped tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced a little.
Stir the creamed coconut together with the coriander. Add the lime juice to taste. Serve scattered with lime wedges.