If you've got a half a chicken or turkey left over from your roast dinner, don't throw it away. Why not use it to make a chicken or turkey stock to add flavour to soups and stews and save you money too!
- Chicken or turkey bones1 stick of celery, chopped roughly
- 1 carrot, chopped into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into half with skin on
- 1 clove of garlic, whole with skin on
- Handful of dried or fresh herbs (try rosemary, parsley or sage)
- Salt and peppercorns to season
- You'll also need:
- A large saucepan
Place the chicken or turkey bones in a large saucepan with a stick of celery, carrot, onion, garlic and any herbs you might have in your cupboard, cover with water, season and bring to the boil then simmer until condensed for 1hr – 2hrs 30 mins (the longer the better).
Strain the stock, then use to make the following dishes by swapping stock made with cubes for your fresh stock. You can keep the stock in the fridge for up to two days or freeze for two months.
Top tip for making Chicken or turkey stock
Don't waste the leftover meat - strip the chicken or turkey bones of any meat and use it in soups.