Cook this tasty dish in the slow cooker. It’s a great accompaniment to grilled meat or fish, or just as a supper dish on its own with some toasted bread.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 450g (1lb) chorizo sausage, skin removed and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 115g (4oz) pancetta, diced
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 long mild red chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2tbsp tomato purée2 x 400g (14oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 400g (14oz) tin peeled cherry tomatoes
- 1tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 210ml (7fl oz) chicken stock, boiling or hot
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To serve:
- Garlic-rubbed toasted ciabatta
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chorizo chunks over a medium heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, to release the delicious paprika-flavoured fat. Remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat behind, and set aside.
Cook the pancetta, onions, celery and carrot in the same pan over a medium heat for 8 mins, to soften rather than colour. Add the chilli, paprika, oregano and tomato purée, stir to combine, then spoon into your slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, except the seasoning and parsley, cover and cook on low for 8 hrs.
Check the seasoning, then stir in the parsley. Serve with garlic-rubbed toasted ciabatta.
Top tip: Instead of the chorizo, try using your favourite pork sausage; just remove the skin, cut into chunks and cook in the same way.