Chilli, prawn and broccoli spaghetti is the perfect quick mid-week pasta dish, that doesn't compromise on flavour for speed. Not only is it quick to make, you can cheaply pick up all the ingredients on your way home or they'll be at the back of your cupboards. A pinch of chilli flakes gives this prawn pasta dish an extra kick. We also love the addition of broccoli - it means you eat less carby pasta! To make it even cheaper use frozen prawns rather than fresh.
- 350g (12oz) spaghetti
- 225g (8oz) tender stem broccoli
- 15ml (1tbsp) sunflower oil
- 5ml (1tsp) chilli flakes or chilli purée
- 350g (12oz) cooked tiger prawns
- Want to make this for under £1 head?
- : £3.83 or 3.33 with frozen prawns (Asda)
- : Broccoli (300g) 60p, Smartprice spaghetti 39p, 2 x Smartprice prawns cooked & peeled (180g) £2.84 (or Smartprice frozen cold water prawns 200g £2.34)
- (Prices correct at time of writing. See mysupermarket
- for more deals).
Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 mins or according to the packet instructions.
Meanwhile, finely chop the stems of the broccoli. Place the chopped stems and florets in a steamer or metal colander and steam over the boiling spaghetti for 3-4 mins or until just tender.
Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan and fry the chilli flakes or purée for 1 min.
Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Drain the spaghetti and add to the pan with the steamed broccoli. Toss well to mix. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Top tip for making Chilli prawn and broccoli spaghetti
Top tip: Use a large pan with plenty of water for your spaghetti, as the pasta needs room to move as it cooks.