This simple and tasty Chinese vegetable chow mein is a classic that can easily be made in around 20 minutes. Serving 4-5 people, it’s packed with vegetables, including carrot, red pepper and oyster mushrooms. Drizzle in groundnut oil and serve with egg noodles for plenty of deliciously oriental flavour.
This veggie dish is great as a main or divvied up as a side. It’s an all-round winner as a nutritious, speedy supper.
- 2tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 125g packet oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 125g packet tenderstem broccoli, cut into pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp rice vinegar
- 1-2tbsp oyster sauce
- 300g ready-to-use medium egg noodles
- 1 lime, to serve
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the veg and cook for 2-3 mins. Pour in the soy sauce, vinegar and oyster sauce. Add the noodles to the pan and heat through.
Serve immediately with some lime squeezed over the top.
Top tip for making Chinese vegetable chow mein
If you want to add some meat to this dish, we'd recommend cooked chicken